Instructor: Mark Simmons
- LOCATIONS: Grantham
- WHO AM I: Driving Instructor
- CAR USED: Volkswagen Polo
- LOCAL TEL NUMBER: 01476 500120
- EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Learner: Tommy Watson
Pass Date: October 2018
Mark is a top driving instructor! His calm, encouraging attitude and good techniques turned me from a driver who failed my driving test with 2 serious faults and 10 minors, to a passed test with only 1 minor. All in a period of 2 months! Very high recommendations.
posted on: 16 October 2018
Learner: Steven Morley
Pass Date: May 2018
"Mark is a very helpful, patient and flexible instructor. He helped me to pass my test on my first attempt. Really cannot fault his teaching, very happy with everything he taught me amd would recommend him to anyone."
posted on: 26 July 2018
Learner: Hannah Hewitt
Pass Date: May 2018
"Mark was a brilliant instructor. I passed the test first time! So patient and helpful. He is always happy and puts you at ease. I would highly recommend Mark as an instructor."
posted on: 26 July 2018
Learner: Licia Ariana
Pass Date: May 2018"I want to start by saying a massive thank you to Mark! Every lesson was brilliant. Every time I got in the car I can honestly say I learnt something new. I had an instructor before Mark and can honestly say I wasn't getting anywhere until I met him. He has a brilliant sense of humour that makes the lessons that bit more enjoyable and puts you very much at ease. He was always very motivating and has all the patience in the world .5* instructor. Very highly recommended. Thanks for everything Mark!"
posted on: 26 July 2018
Learner: Ella Pateman
Pass Date: August 2017
I would like to thank you for all the good lessons, I really appreciate the time you gave me. You are a really good understanding driving instructor. I'm very happy that I had you as an instructor I would definitely recommend you to anyone! Thank you for your time and effort I really appreciate it!
posted on: 23 August 2017
Learner: Andrew Goodge
Pass Date: July 2017
Thank you for being patient and helping me to enjoy learning to drive. I'm really grateful you got me through my driving test at the first attempt.
posted on: 12 July 2017
Learner: Josh Driver
Pass Date: June 2017
Mark is a fantastic instructor. He works at a suitable pace and fills you with confidence. He works on the areas that you need to and achieves great results. I passed first time and highly recommend him.
posted on: 15 June 2017
Learner: Carol Haith
Pass Date: April 2017
I found the mixture of Mark's sense of humour and professional attitude really put me at ease. I was very anxious to start with but he helped me through to passing my driving test. On my recommendation he is now my daughter's driving instructor. Thank you Mark!
posted on: 02 May 2017
Learner: Rob Lewis
Pass Date: April 2017
Mark is an excellent instructor. I had never driven before but he got me to pass my driving test first time. He teaches you in such a way that you can easily understand what is needed.
posted on: 04 April 2017
Pass Date: February 2017
Mark has been a great driving instructor. He was referred to me by a family member who also had him as their instructor. I literally have no complaints. Mark took his time with me, answered any questions I had in detail and helped me gain all the knowledge and guidance I needed to pass my test. I highly recommend him as he is very patient, calm and gives you the results that we all look for in a driving instructor.
posted on: 23 February 2017
I have been a fully qualified driving instructor since 2006 and work primarily in the Grantham and Newark areas. I am also qualified to provide the Passplus course.
I consider myself fortunate to be a driving instructor and love the job and the job satisfaction I get when helping people pass their driving test. I believe I am patient and friendly and hope to put my customers at ease and encourage them to enjoy their driving lessons and have fun whilst doing so.
I structure my lessons to fit the individual requirements of my pupils with the aim of getting people through their driving test as quickly as possible. I work 6 days a week so I should be able to complete the driving lessons at a time and day which suits you best.
The examiner will ask you one:
· ‘tell me’ question (where you explain how you’d carry out a safety task) at the start of your test, before you start driving
· ‘show me’ question (where you show how you’d carry out a safety task) while you’re driving
1. Tell me how you’d check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicle should not pull to one side.
2. Tell me where you’d find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
Manufacturer’s guide, use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold, don’t forget spare tyre, remember to refit valve caps.
3. Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash.
The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the eye or top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. Note: Some restraints might not be adjustable.
4. Tell me how you’d check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
No cuts and bulges, 1.6mm of tread depth across the central three-quarters of the breadth of the tyre, and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre.
5. Tell me how you’d check that the headlights and tail lights are working. You don’t need to exit the vehicle.
Explain you’d operate the switch (turn on ignition if necessary), then walk round vehicle (as this is a ‘tell me’ question, you don’t need to physically check the lights).
6. Tell me how you’d know if there was a problem with your anti-lock braking system.
Warning light should illuminate if there is a fault with the anti-lock braking system.
7. Tell me how you’d check the direction indicators are working. You don’t need to exit the vehicle.
Explain you’d operate the switch (turn on ignition if necessary), and then walk round vehicle (as this is a ‘tell me’ question, you don’t need to physically check the lights).
8. Tell me how you’d check the brake lights are working on this car.
Explain you’d operate the brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows or doors, or ask someone to help.
9. Tell me how you’d check the power-assisted steering is working before starting a journey.
If the steering becomes heavy, the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey, 2 simple checks can be made.
Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate. Alternatively turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning.
10. Tell me how you’d switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you’d use it/them. You don’t need to exit the vehicle.
Operate switch (turn on dipped headlights and ignition if necessary). Check warning light is on. Explain use.
11. Tell me how you switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and explain how you’d know the main beam is on.
Operate switch (with ignition or engine on if necessary), check with main beam warning light.
12. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that the engine has sufficient oil.
Identify dipstick/oil level indicator, describe check of oil level against the minimum and maximum markers.
13. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that the engine has sufficient engine coolant.
Identify high and low level markings on header tank where fitted or radiator filler cap, and describe how to top up to correct level.
14. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
Identify reservoir, check level against high and low markings.
Show me questions:
1. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the rear windscreen?
2. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the front windscreen?
3. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d switch on your dipped headlights?
4. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d set the rear demister?
5. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d operate the horn?
6. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d demist the front windscreen?
7. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d open and close the side window?